IST-Africa 2015 is the tenth in an annual series of Ministerial Level Technology Research Conferences; held on 6-8 May 2015 in Lilongwe, Malawi, it is hosted by the Government of Malawi through the National Commission for Science and Technology and supported by the European Commission (EC) and the African Union Commission (AUC).
Focused on Information Society and ICT Policy Dialogues, International Development and Research Cooperation and Community Building, each conference brings together senior representatives of leading public, private, education and research organisations from 50 countries to discuss policy, share insight and identify collaboration opportunities.
The IST-Africa Conference Series is part of the IST-Africa Initiative, co-funded under the European Framework Programme since 2005 – current Contract No. 611795.
The goals of the IST-Africa Conference Series are to
- support Development of the Information Society and Knowledge Economy in Africa
- promote International Innovation, Research and Policy Cooperation and Coordination
- showcase African Research and Innovation Capacity
- stimulate exploitation of research results by the public and private sectors
The 5th Annual IST-Africa Living Lab Thematic Working Group meeting will take place on Tuesday as a pre-conference event with other co-located multi-lateral and bi-lateral meetings taking place during the week.
The Advance Programme of IST Africa 2015 incorporates 2 plenary sessions and 35 parallel sessions in the Scientific Programme with over 140 presenters from 35 countries. The Scientific Programme for IST-Africa 2015 is based on a double blind peer review of Papers submitted to an open Call for Papers closing on 19 December 2014.
Plenary Speakers confirmed to date include:
- Hon. Dr. Emmanuel Fabiano, M.P., Minister of Education, Science and Technology, Malawi;
- Mr Anthony Muyepa-Phiri, Director General, National Commission for Science and Technology, Malawi;
- Mr Andrew Kumbatira, Director General, Malawi Communications Regulatory Authority;
- Mr Victor Malewa, Deputy Director, Department of e-Government, Ministry of Information;
- Mr Moctar Yedaly, Head of Information Society Division, African Union Commission;
- Mr Kasirim Nwuke, Innovation and Technology, UNECA;
- Mr Morten Møller, Programme Coordination, DG CONNECT, European Commission, Belgium;
- Dr Harry Gombachika, Chief Executive Officer, Malawi Telecommunications Limited;
- Dr Pascal Hoba, CEO, UbuntuNet Alliance;
- Dr. Paulos Nyirenda, CEO, SDNP;
- Mrs Bessie Nyirenda, Management Consultant, Malawi Institute of Management; and
- Mr Moses Bayingana, ICT Expert, Information Society Division, African Union Commission
Early Bird delegates rates are available up to 20 March
Venue: IST-Africa is taking place in Bingu International Conference Centre (Capital Hill/Presidential Way) Lilongwe, which is 25 km from the airport.
Accommodation: accommodation in Lilongwe is expensive. Discounted rates for President Walmont Hotel (new 5 star hotel within the conference centre complex) are available as part of the registration and require payment in advance to finalise the booking. There are a limited amounts of rooms available at these rates.
Download the IST Africa 2015 brochure
View here the article we published for announcing the event
For further info click here