On 15th March, 2012 Israel launched its 5 years national project of digitizing the museums’ collections.
The event took place at Museum Beit-Hatfutsot, with more than 150 participants: Managers and museums’ professionals.
The vision of “going Digital” was described by the project steering members: Shimon Elkabetz – Head of The Culture Governance, Reuven Pinsky – Head of Moreshet Project at The Prime Minister Office and Idit Amichai – Head of The Department for Museums and Plastic Art.
- MANA is the basic collections management system which functions as safe where each museum catalogue its collections and objects and every one stores its photos and any other relevant documentation, in order to manage them and in order to preserve them for long period: The systems serves the museums the government provides the technical services: storage, redundancy, help-desk etc. Currently MANA serves 36 museums, 200,000 objects and expected to grow continuously until all museums will manage all objects with it.
- Three types of export templates will be developed in MANA to enable the upload of collections, objects and exhibitions to the following web sites:
- Europeans – according to LIDO standard. Based on linked IMJ vocabularies, where available.
- iMUS – the Israeli museums’ portal, with respect to the curators demands: virtual exhibitions, collections and objects. Standards are varied, as museums are free to adopt their own cataloguing approach and standards.
- Museum’s web site, if available.
- iMUS will serve as Europeana back site.
- iMUS search engine will include IMJ vocabularies in Hebrew and English.
- iMUS will integrate Europeana API, enabling bi-directions streaming data.
- Public engagement aspects will be considered, managed and modified according to the changing environment, technology and museum’s management vision.
- Last but not least – iMUS will be linked to the Israeli national digital heritage library, using through vocabularies and other semantic web techniques.
The attached PDF slides were presented during the event.